3806 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetRAID

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Sargent

NetRAID

I have 2 logical disks, 1 is RAID 1 and the other RAID 5. The RAID 5 actually consists of 4 disks. 2 disks are failing in the RAID 5 and the error upon booting is "unresolved config mismatch between disk(s) and NVRAM. Can anyone guide me on what I need to do?
5 REPLIES 5
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: NetRAID

This error means that configuration of disks stored in controllers nvram and configuration stored on disks are not identical. To resolve this error you have to use netraid express tools (ctrl M during boot). Go to View/Add configuration, select nvram or disk configuration, check which one is correct and save correct configuration.

Note: It is possible that your drives did not fail, the failed status may be result of incorect data in configuration. You may try to change drive status to online in Object, Physical Drive menu. If two drives in raid5 are realy failed you have lost your data on this logical drive.
David Sargent

Thanks for the reply Enes. I knew of going to express tools to view the config, but I don't have the option of checking both nvram and disk configuration, only disk. I don't get this. The machine will boot and load the OS (NT 4.0 Server), but the 2 failed disks are not there (E and F drives). Unfortunately, this is where and Oracle dbase and PeopleSoft app. is stored. This is a new box that was just loaded last week, and the dbase wasn't being used yet, so I'm not really sweating data loss to a great extent, but it would be nice to not have to rebuild it (no, no backups as of yet as it wasn't fully finished yet). I think the disks are gone, though, as the system log on the Event Viewer shows lots of ATAPI errors failing to write to those partitions. So, I guess I just have to clear and redo the array config?
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

It may be that your nvram configuration was cleared and your disk configuration was not cleared. In that case in view/add config you can see only disk configuration.

Anyway, since your server is new failing of two disks is very unlikely. I would recomend checking and upgradeing of disk firmware if nedded. There is a serie of new disks with incorect firmware (I do not recall which ones). For that disks firmware upgrade is mandatory. You can go to netserver support site and find there disk firmware utility and new firmwares, if needed.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
I didn't know in which environment are set the hdd, but probably the problem is caused by a hdd who is not reponding corectly to the host scsi controller in the netraid, if the hdd are hotswap, then remove one of the two hdd failed and chek if the "UNRESOLVED" word desapear, if no, reinsert this hdd and remove the other one.
if the word "UNRESOLVED" desapeare, then force on-line the failed hdd and reboot your system, it will restart in degraded mode but will see the data.
after tha install a new hdd and rebuild raid
bye
marino
Diana Thompson
Frequent Advisor

David,

You can call into tech support and we will walk you thru the recovery of your disks. It is as Meloni stated, probably one disk not responding and we need to find out which one. If the server is new, it should be under warranty and the drive would be replaced.

Diana