1752785 Members
5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetRaid 1M- Adding Mixed Size SCSI Drives

Leo_42
Occasional Contributor

NetRaid 1M- Adding Mixed Size SCSI Drives

Currently i have 3x9GB SCSI Disks configured as RAID 5 1 Logical Array and 2 Partitions with NetRAID-1M controller and HP NetServer LC2000. I'd like to to add more hard drives to expand the space of my second partition. I have a single 36GB SCSI Drive that I can add to this array. Will I be able to do this? Will I be limited to adding only 9GB of the physical space? How can I use the additional physical space in the same array?
2 REPLIES 2
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Re: NetRaid 1M- Adding Mixed Size SCSI Drives

You are limited to being able to use only the 1st 9GB of the 36GB drive in the same array as the other drives. There is no way to add all 36GB to the existing array.

Alicia
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: NetRaid 1M- Adding Mixed Size SCSI Drives

Leo,
Look at it this way (we tell customers this all the time). You have 9GB drives, they have not been manufacture for years now, you have had them in services for some time now, they have a useful life and now you need more space.
It makes more sense to replace the all to get where you want to be OR add a new array of larger drives and move the second partition.
Yes, adding, say, 36GB drive into the 9GB drives will be acceptable but the drive will be trucated to match the 9GB drive. BUT you can replace all the existing drives, one at a time, rebuilding between switches, until all the 9GB drives are replaced and the array has been restriped accross all the new drives and you will end up with new free space for the balance that you can extend your 2nd partition to.
"Due to the relatively short production life of hard disk drives and the discontinuance of 4GB and 9GB 10K RPM hard disk drives, HP supports ... replace defective 4GB and 9GB hard disk drives ..." See at www.e4servicesinc.com/netdoc.html "Using 18GB Hard Drives to Replace 4GB and 9GB .."
Hot Swap Hard Drives