Disk Enclosures
1752721 Members
6960 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NetRaid-3Si: "This Config-8 Cannot be Migrated to Config-4"

Mike Lemoine

NetRaid-3Si: "This Config-8 Cannot be Migrated to Config-4"

I recently aquired a NetRaid 3Si card. It recognizes all my disks, and I can select them to add to an array. I can go through all the configuration steps for the logical drive, but when I try to save the configuration, I get the error: "This Config-8 Cannot be Migrated to Config-4".

I would greatly appreciate any insight, as I'm quite anxious to set up & use my array.
6 REPLIES 6
Franco Cenati
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike

The information you provided are not enought to understand the environment where th NetRAID 3Si is used.

Which operating system are you using ?
Which utility are you using for the NetRAID 3Si ?
Which is the firmware/BIOS version .....

If you are starting from scratch, if you are doing a brand new configuration, you can do that :

1) power on the computer
2) at NetRAID banner press the key CTRl-M to enter the configuration utility Express Tools.
IN express tools do:
3) Select configure
4) New configuration
the card will scan the 3 channels
5) select the disc pressing the space bar
6) to close the array press enter.
now that you have the array, you can create the logical disc.
7) press F10 to start the LD config.
8) configure the logical drive as you need (RAID level, stripe size, LD size, cache ...
then select ACCEPT.
9) now the utility will ask you if you want to save the configuration.
select yes.

If you have an error, to be able to help you you must provide more information about your computer and disks configuration

bye
Franco Cenati
I
Mike Lemoine

9) now the utility will ask you if you want to save the configuration. select yes.

This is where the error pops up.. The BIOS is C.02.02 (Newest on the HP download site.)

The Disks attached to it are (5) Western Digital 9150-0050.. They're Ultra2/U160 Drives. The BIOS sees them fine, can display the drive information for them, etc.. I just get the aforementioned error when I try to save a config (any config, regardless of RAID level or number of disks in the array).

Franco Cenati
Valued Contributor

Hi Mike

Your disks do not have an HP firmware.
This could be the reason.

I always used HP disks and I never got errors.

if you have at least one HP hot-swap disk , you can try to configure it as a RAID 0 (remove from the server all the NON HP disks).

HP NetRAID cards probably check if the disks are HP looking the ID string of the firmware disk.

Let me know if you solve with HP disk.

Franco

Diana Thompson
Frequent Advisor

This sounds like something on the drives. When you save the config the NetRAID 3si will write a "scratch pad" to all the drive on the controller. the error seems to be trying to write to the drives. Have never seen this error with HP drives. One thing you might try is to format the drives using the HP NetRAID utility (either the or NetRAID Assistent) then try to do a congif.
DELEUZE

I encountered these sames messages on several hpNetservers.
The last appeared when i did a One Button Disaster Recovery...
- I installed a nt4 SP6a (US), Arcserv 2000 and DR, i generated the Tape with OBDR.
- I stopped the LH4 (Bios 4.06.33)
- Put 2 disk of 18 Gb (HP 80-H008) in raid 1
- Boot on the tape and it didn't work (i don't know the reason but i had to work on it.
- Then i try to put the 3 disks of 9 Gb (HP 80-1205) and i encountered the same message.
- I was very surprised because it was the first set of disk i generated with this netraid card (B 02 03-D 03 03).
lyreco
DELEUZE

I sorted out this probleme by :
- To generate an old netraid firmware D0205- B0104 du cd L15.15
- Remove the hard disks from their slots
- Boot on floppy
- When the floppy begin to run, plug the disk
- Downgrade the firmware of the netraid.
- Boot the server
- Go to the CTRl + M tools
- Upload the disks configuration
- And know you can save it by F10.
- Reboot the server
- Upgrade the Netraid firmware to the newest version.
PS: I did it on a LH4. Iwas surprised to see during the upgrade of the firmware autmaticaly by the hp navigator to see an lH3.img file. WHen you generate the floppy, an LH4.img is well stored.
lyreco