5899 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New Disk Array for D class Server HPUX10.20

kenny chia
Regular Advisor

New Disk Array for D class Server HPUX10.20

Hi all
Is there any disk array in the market that is suitable for my D class server running on HP-UX10.20?
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
7 REPLIES 7
Bernhard Mueller
Honored Contributor

Re: New Disk Array for D class Server HPUX10.20

Kenny,

suggest you get a used AutoRaid 12H (or a Nike Model 20). Both have FWD SCSI controllers and you can easily get a FWD SCSI HBA for your D-class. Typically the limiting factor will be your number of free HSC slots...

With anything newer like FibreChannel or LVD SCSI you will most likely run into problems (or have to make unreasonable investments)

Regards,
Bernhard
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you don't need HP-UX 10.20 and you can use HP-UX 11i, the better solution (and likely cheaper) will be:

- new rp3410 server, SA6402 RAID card and msa30 disk enclosure

or

- new rp3410 server, FC card and msa1000 array.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am sure fcal card are available for D Class so you can go with FC-30 storage or FC-60 will also work.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

hi Kenny, there is fibre board for D class but only supported on D370/380/390 and it is an A3591B and needs J3630BA software package
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi All,
the A3591B has very old design and does not support fabric. There is newer FC card for D-Class - the A6684A card and supports fabric connection. The A6684A uses bundled HP-UX FC driver and is supported on Dx20, Dx30, Dx70, Dx80 and Dx90.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

Kenny, if you take out your lower end hot swap drives and you have a D3xx you can stick up to 5 x 36GB FWD Low Profile SCSI-2 disk drives in the drive bay giving yourself 180GB.... the max that we have gotten in the D3xx server drive bay is 396GB using 2 x 180GB drives and 1 x 36GB drive. Its probably a cheaper and simpler solution than going with an external array.

Jesse
jesse@cypress-tech.com
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor

if you still need an array, you can use a A3312A or A3311A High Availability "Jamaica" array, they hold 8 drives and you are able to use the same drive that are in your D3xx box. Its probably the simplest array out there. All you need is a FWD adapter to connect the two and there like 75 bucks.