108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: New disk in jamaica A3311A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

New disk in jamaica A3311A

I want to include a new 18 GB disk into my enclosure.
The manual says that I have to shut down my host on power off the enclosure before inserting a new disk.

I remember that an HP support engineer once changed a disk whith host running and enclosure up.

Can I (or not) insert a new disk while systems are running ???

Thanks for any response

P.S. This thread has been moved from general to Disk array. - Hp forum moderator

He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
3 REPLIES 3
David Navarro
Respected Contributor
Solution

Hi, first you need to know if you scsi channel is Single ended or FastWide, if is FW (I'm sure yes, a 18 Gb disk is sure FW). You can plugin a new disk without problems. HP, says that you must shutdown machine, and then you can install it. FW scsi has a diferential bus. That means that you can change number of devices and channel automaticaly able to offset impedance.
Before proceed you need to know SCSI ID of all members of channel, then find one free, better in this order 6,5,4,3,2,1,0,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8 configure in the back of jamaica and plugin disk, make an ioscan -f, then insf and you will see that OS installs a new device file, and thats all.
Maybe HP can say that is not supported do that, but I have done this a lot of times without problems.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Thanks David,

That's what I hoped would work but i needed a little confirmation on this.

He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Rainer,

You can replace your disk without stopping neither the server not the Jamaica.

Jamaica got another abbreviation which is HASS( High Availbility Storage System ). If you need to shutdown both of them, then I don't know why HP called it like that !

I do (hot) replace disks in Jamica without stopping neither the two.

System will gonna take a while syncronizing data on new drive ( if mirrored ) or you need to restaure data on that disk if it is not mirrored.

Magdi