1748019 Members
4643 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

New vdisks on EVA4100 not seen by OpenVMS

Ken Robinson
Valued Contributor

New vdisks on EVA4100 not seen by OpenVMS

We just installed & configured new drives on our EVA4100. Before we did this, the vdisks were presented to some Linux machines running VMware.

We've added more disks, created a new group and created new vdisks. We are trying to present some of these vdisks to a OpenVMS machine running on a bl860c blade. We created a VMS Host area on the EVA and added a new host with the FC Adapter Port WWN number being that of the Fibre device(s) on VMS.

After presenting the vdisks, I can't see them on VMS. How should I diagnose this problem?

The FC switch we're using is not zoned.

Ken
3 REPLIES 3
McCready
Valued Contributor

Re: New vdisks on EVA4100 not seen by OpenVMS

The surest way of knowing that your EVA disk presentation will work is to select the WWID's from the pick list, and not type them, when you create the host entry on the EVA (there are very few cases where you have to type them in). Aside from avoiding a typo, it also insures that the EVA can see the host in question via the zoning (or lack thereof) you have in place, or that you had a back cable someplace.

Assuming you got that far, for OpenVMS you need to make sure you had specfied a unique unit number as part of the presentation step (in addition to the LUN), the host type was specified as OpenVMS (if not, might work anyway), and on the vms side you did the "sysman io autoc" command.

I know there was something about Itanium OpenVMS 8.3 that keeps you from seeeing SAN drives if you are booted locally (or vice versa) that the -1H1 variant fixes. And although it might be a far shot, not having your switch zoned sometimes causes conflicts between hosts of different O/S's- you never go wrong with having a zone for each EVA/array port pair.

good luck.
check out evamgt.wetpaint.com and evamgt google group
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> specfied a unique unit number

In Command View EVA, this is the field labelled "OS unit ID:", not the 'LUN address' which is used for individual presentation to a host.

Select a value between 1 and 9999 to get a device name from $1$DGA1: to $1$DGA9999: - of course, it must be unique across all storage arrays that this host has access to.
Ken Robinson
Valued Contributor

It turned out that the switches were already zoned. Once we remembered the passwords to the switches and were able to start up the Fabric Manager, we were able to add a zone on each switch for the VMS Blade. Once the zones were activated, I was able to see the new vdrives on VMS, initialize them, and mount them.

Ken