1748283 Members
4003 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nike Model 20

unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

Nike Model 20

Ok. I'm fed up. I have a nike model 20 disk array attached to a k220. I've 1 raid 5 (5 physical disks) logical disk in a volume group. Now for some reason the volume group won't activate it is saying that it can't query the physical disk. Yet I can do an ioscan and diskinfo on the disk and it reports everything. So from a SCSI viewpoint everything is working. I think that perhaps the disk has lost it VG header, so I tried to do a vgcfgrestore to the disk, but it can't query the disk. So from a volume group level it can't seem to see the disk. All the config file /etc/lvmtab and /etc/lvmconf/vg04.conf look fine. What can I try next?
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Darren, this may be difficult, but you can try...
Go to Grid Manager in Nike (serial port, 9600/N/1) and check that disks in this LUN at one controller (A or B) has "ENA" state, but at other has "RDY" state. If you'll see that both controllers are reporting "RDY" and UDP value!=0 then in no circumstances do not turn Nike off and call HP support ASAP.
All these values (disks states and UDP vaule) can be observed in Presentation utility of Grid Manager.
This way we'll check health of Nike's LUN.
In addition alternate path to LUN and auto-tresspass set-up should be checked. Read manual or call HP.
Good luck!
Eugeny
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

What state do you see the disks comprising the lun from Gridmanager?

Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
unixdaddy
Trusted Contributor

Sorry to sound stupid, but how do I start gridmanager? Also can these arrays be configured from the operating system level as opposed to the hardware level?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

This document shall help you setup Gridmanager.

If it is already setup, then all you need to do is to connect to it, in this document as well.

http://www5.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000058669118

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
John Payne_2
Honored Contributor

Your standard Nike array has 2 'sp's'. They should be labeled sp A and sp B. You can look to see where the scsi/fibre goes from one or both of the sp's to your machine. If one side goes to one box, and the other goes to another, that is fine.

To get to the grid manager, connect a serial cable to whichever sp serial interface you want (preferrably the one going to your server.) and the console serial port. (On the right.) Then you have to switch your console to the serial side. You may have to go into the terminal config field to change to the serial interface. (user system button -> config keys -> terminal config)

Once you are in the gridmanager, you want to display things. (use the ^ to go up a level.) I believe you want the option 1, presentation utility. This presentation utility will show you your disks in the nike array. If they are properly configured, you will see stripes with 'ena' and maybe stripes with 'rdy'. 'ena' means the disks are presented through that sp. 'rdy' means they are enabled through the other sp. (If your other sp is going to another box, that is where the disks will be.) If there is anything else, you have a problem. (I forget what the 3 letter abbriviation is for unbound.)

Hope it helps

John
Spoon!!!!
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

launch

mstm

or better still, if you have x11 -> xstm,

select your nike SP,
tools -> info -> run.

post the output up here.

Do it for the two sps.

You probably want to make sure that autotresspass is on.. you are on 10.20 or 11.00 right!?

The Gridmgr presentation screen will tell you that.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)