3539 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: No CLI> show in hyperterminal connected to MSA using serial cable

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

No CLI> show in hyperterminal connected to MSA using serial cable

Guys,

I've got a problem, I tried to configure a MSA(like 500) using hyperterminal through a serial cable connected to its rz-45z port, but could not see the CLI> prompt. The cable was fine and the configuration of hyperterminal was collect (cause I tried the procedure on a MSA1500, and it worked).

So my question is: which type of MSA with rz-45z port on the controller supports serial cable connection for configuration and which type not? Or was it related to dual or single controller? (I don't think so) Is there any way to configure such MSA without ACU (not an windows os, and Linux without ACU installed) online ?

Regards

Stephen

5 REPLIES 5
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

There are so many different MSA's (e.g. 20,30,50,60,70,1000,1500,2000), can you specify which model do you have?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Hi Torsten,

It should be a MSA1000 though I could not check from its serial number, but I could tell after reading the manual. You can see from attached figure that item 2 is RJ-45Z(I made typo before) serial port to access the CLI. But it didn't work in my case! I do consider that it could be access through the RJ-45Z port one MSA have one. But the truth is sometime I can, sometime I can not.

Could you explain that? Or, is there a switch that controls CLI access not permitted through RJ-45Z port?

regards

Stephen

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You need to use this for the serial connection:

Bits per Second: 19200
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

The guide says "Press Enter several times to display the command prompt (CLI>). "

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Hi Torsten,

It is neither setting of hyperterminal, nor how many times I pressed enter (In fact I press so many times). With same hyperterminal setting and same cable, I could manage to access another MSA1000. And after searching out such thread: http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Disk-Disk-Arrays-Legacy/MSA-CLI-Disabled/m-p/911100/highlight/true#M4900

, I just wonder is there really a switch ? And one thing I noticed, serveral threads about the same problem here, but no solution. Should I ask help from HP?

regards

Stephen

stephen peng
Valued Contributor

Is it possible that I emulation tool cause this problem? In fact, I did not use hyperterminal (win7 does not have one) but SecureCRT.

regards

Stephen