1752800 Members
5795 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

No Extend option in ACU????

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No Extend option in ACU????

I installed a 5300 array controller in a DL580, which is connected to an 4314 external storage unit. I have a RAID 5 array with 4 drives + 1 hot spare. I'm trying to add an additional 4 drives and extend the current logical drive. I've already added the new drives to the current array which worked OK. However, when I click the Extend button on the Logical Drive panel, I get a screen that reads: "(15409) Logical drives cannot be extended on this controller because the controller does not support logical drive extension."
I'm confused about this, since in the 5300 manual it specifically mentions Logical Drive Extension (and expansion also).

Thanks,
Joe
9 REPLIES 9
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: No Extend option in ACU????

Use the current version of the ACU ..........

Compaq Array Configuration Utility for Windows 2000
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I pulled v2.50.66.0 down and tried to install it, but it told me the software was up to date (I was already running v2.50B). Any other ideas?
BTW, ACU shows the firmware on the controller as v1.28, if it makes any difference.
Thanks - Joe
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Try referencing the Smart Array 5300 Controller User Guide
for help with drive extension , it's possible you may have installed the drives incorrect .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I think I saw a reference somewhere that indicated that a "boot partition" Win2000 can't be extended.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with my 5304 controller. When I install the newest version of the ACU (version 2.50B) it says in the first setup screen it is for the 4000 controller. On the Compaq website it says an update of the ACU is available (version 2.51a) and also an Options ROMpaq (version 3.00 or later) should be available. When I go to the location Compaq suggests, I can only find the older versions. Where can I find the newer versions....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am having the same issue with mine. All of web documents say to down load AC 2.51 and Options Pa 3.00. These updates can not be found on the web site. Does anyone know where to get them?

Aaron
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Here are the specs on the controller from Compaq.

RAID ADG (Advanced Data Guarding) delivers higher fault tolerance than RAID 1, while keeping capacity utilization high, like RAID 5. RAID ADG protects data from multiple drive failures, while only requiring the capacity of two drives to store parity information. This higher level of protection is ideal where large logical volumes are required. (This feature is available on model SA-5304/128 and is available as an option to other SA-5300 models.)

High-performance, Fifth generation architecture offers the new hardware RAID engine, and a new performance memory architecture for increased performance over previous controllers.

Modular, easy-to-upgrade design lets you optimize performance and increase capacity as needed, from two to four channels and with 32-, 64- or 128-MB battery-backed Cache.

Ultra3 SCSI technology delivers high performance and data bandwidth up to 160 MB/s bandwidth per channel.

Up to 4 channels provide the highest storage capacity per PCI slot in the industry.

Mix-and-match LVD SCSI compatibility protects your investments and lets you deploy drives as needed.

Battery-backed Cache protects cached data in the event of a power outage, server failure or controller failure, and redundant, replaceable batteries take that protection even farther.

64-bit, 66-MHz PCI interface boosts bandwidth up to a 533 MB/s total transfer rate.

64-bit memory addressing supports servers with greater than 4 GB of memory.

Online Management Features: Online Capacity Expansion, Online RAID Level Migration, Online Stripe Size Migration, Online Spares (Global), User Selectable Read/Write Cache, User Selectable Expand and Rebuild Priority

So as you can see LOGICAL DRIVE EXPANSION IS NOT AN OPTION..I do hear that it may be added with the next revision of ss 5.0 with the firmware update and new acu this maybe a possibility.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

When I look in the manual on page 5-18 the Logical Drive Extension is explained in detail. It also says what operating systems suport logical drive extension.
Also in the Smart Array 5300 Controller Enhancements page on the Compaq website it says you must upgrade to option pack version 3.0 and ACU version 2.51a.
I was finaly able to upgrade the firmware of the card to version 1.62 (option pack 3.0) and now ADG works. Is it then so that you must use ACU version 2.51a to use the extension. Why is then the logical drive extension option in version 2.50.66 available and does it not work.....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The optons rom paq version 3.00 can be found at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp12501-13000/sp12986.exe

The file I got had number 14408 so I am a little confused but it should work.