1753380 Members
5732 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Optiomal RAID redundancy configuration question

Jeff Bailey_4
Occasional Contributor

Optiomal RAID redundancy configuration question

I have a Proliant ML350 G3 with two 36 sczi drives, and a Smart Array 641 (RAID) controller. I have two options for array configuration and would like to know which is optimal for redundacy.

1) Through Array config util, take the 72Gigs and create 3 (RAID 1+0) logical drives, one for System partion, Data Partition, and Paging File.

or

2) Through Array config util, take the 72 Gigs and create 1 (RAID 1+0) 36g drive and through Windows 2003 setup, partion my three partions as above.
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Optiomal RAID redundancy configuration question

I would opt for the first config. Even though it does not matter too much since you still hitting the same 2 drives for each... system, data, pagefile...

You are relieving the burden of having the OS take care of partitioning and related overhead.

Additionally, if you ever wanted to expand the size of your data partition, it would be alot easier to do as a seperate Logical Unit.

My 2centz worth.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Optiomal RAID redundancy configuration question

Yes, that is correct. create you data partition last using the Controller to create the logical drives. This will simplify extending the data lgoical drive size if needed in the future. That is the advantage.
Hot Swap Hard Drives