7204 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Out of band management of EVA's

PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Out of band management of EVA's

Hi,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but it quite important for me to find the answers. My team manages HP EVA's spread across the world using multiple servers managing local EVA's. So there are 2 servers in each site managing the 1, 2 or 4 EVA's.

For other storage arrays like the USP and the IBM DS series, we manage it with one or 2 servers.

The questions are

1. Can the EVA be configured for out of band management.

2. Is there any mgmt suite that can help us or the existing Command view configured for this.

Thanks in adavnce.
3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean with out of band and management.

All the EVAs, except the 4400 need a server with Command View and FC access to the EVA. The communication is through SCSI commands to LUN 0 on the EVA.

The EVA4400 has the possibility of installing Command View 8.1 on the management module, so the communication to the EVA is through IP and only internally via SCSI commands. But CV 8.1 is very limited for the moment, missing a lot of features and compatibility.

If by management you mean monitoring, you can monitor several Command View servers and their associate EVAs from Systems Insight Manager.

You can also perform a lot of tasks, and program actions if you install RSM on a server, and give it access to all the Command View servers. But for some tasks like health checking and firmware update, you still need to access the Command View servers.
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

By out of band management, I mean does the controller have an IP for us to manage.

If you take the example of IBM DS4XXX, the controller has a IP address and I can manage/monitor multiple storage subsystems with storage manager installed on one server.
I monitor/manage IBM storage located in Philipines/UK/Houston/Malaysia using one server with Storage Manager installed in it. We have another one for DR, just incase this goes down.

With EVA we need to have one mgmt server per location, and sometime many more.

I was wondering how companies across the globe manage their EVA infra?? Just checking whether there is a better way.

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Answer = NO.
There is NO IP address that you can use.
All EVA's have to be managed via CV.
The only alternative is the Management Module with latest f/w that gives you CV8.1 on the MM which you can then browse to. This has already been mentioned above.

Therefore, you will need a management server on the fabric for management.

MArk...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...