7740 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Override "no battery" message

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Override "no battery" message

Hi,

I'd like to extend a raid set on my 221 controller but I get the error message "no battery backup....no can do". I know there's a certain risk involved but since the server has a huge UPS and a no-break I'd like to take my chances. So, is there a /ignore_whatever switch or regkey to override these ACU warnings ?

Walter.
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Override "no battery" message

I would refer to Micro soft Knowledge Base Article Q86903 if you haven't at least seen it. We lost a large data base to lost writes which probably would have gotten flushed on re start had we had the battery backup. Cost $13,000.00 to repair. I am still trying to find more information on the risks. Best of Luck
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

the 221 doesn't support expansion, end of story.

Upgrade to a better controller, you can then expand it; and like the man says, you only notice the value after its all gone horribly wrong
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

No do, is no such switch known.
And i wouldn't take the risk to expand if I had no battery pack installed.
Try to find/buy a battery pack, much cheaper than data loss, or upgrade to better controller.

Good Luck
Rob
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The Smart 221 does not support online expansion . Trying to force the issue will cause data loss . Update the 221 to a Smart 3200 or newer Array Controller
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

According to the array controller FAQ the 221 controller does NOT use write back caching due to the fact that there's no battery backup so I don't understand what the problem is but okay....let's end this discussion.

According to the information I can find on the website the 3200 controller can be installed instead of the 221 without problem (yes, backup before upgrade) is this correct or do I need to update some NT drivers BEFORE replacing the controller (in a Proliant 1850R) ?