1748194 Members
3533 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P400 array controller - changing failed drive

bert666
Occasional Visitor

P400 array controller - changing failed drive

I have a disk array with a failed drive, which has been previously moved from another server. In the other server it was attached to port 2 of a P400 controller, while in this one it is attached to port 1, the working disk is seen fine and the slot to which it's connected has updated successfully, however the controller is still expecting the failed drive to be connected to slot 2, and considers the replacement disk to be unassigned, see below:

Smart Array P400 in Slot 2 (sn: P61630E9SVE1AJ)

array A (SATA, Unused Space: 0 MB)

logicaldrive 1 (1.8 TB, RAID 1, Interim Recovery Mode)

physicaldrive 1I:1:1 (port 1I:box 1:bay 1, SATA, 2 TB, OK)
physicaldrive 2I:0:6 (port 2I:box 0:bay 6, SATA, 0 MB, Failed)

unassigned

physicaldrive 1I:1:2 (port 1I:box 1:bay 2, SATA, 2 TB, OK)

I have tried to configure the unassigned drive as a spare, or to remove the failed drive from the array and replace it with the working drive to no avail, there is always an error:

Error: This operation is not supported with the current configuration. Use the
"show" command on devices to show additional details about the
configuration.
Reason: Array is transforming

Is there any way to make the controller use this new drive, and forget about the failed drive on the now disconnected slot without losing data?

2 REPLIES 2
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,

the easiest way is to boot server into normal operation and then simply plug in new/replacement drive. P400 will imidiatelly start recovery operation...

could you try this?

jan

bert666
Occasional Visitor

There is a spare drive present, but it's not connected to the same port as the old one so it's not attempting to rebuild. As we've moved the controller and disks to a new server we can't connect anything to the second port of the controller as there are obstructions. I had assumed it would be fairly easy to just tell it to use a different drive as its replacement, but this seems not to be the case.