Disk Enclosures
1752688 Members
5460 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: P800 seeing 2 drives in same storage box bay!

Stephen Fay

P800 seeing 2 drives in same storage box bay!

I have a p800 installed in a DL380 G5. It is running an MSA70 with 11 X 146GB 10K single port SAS drives installed. It has 1 logical drive on RAID 6.

The ACU is telling me I have "a bad or missing drive" in Port 1E : Box 1 : Bay 10.

But, according to the ACU and System Management Homepage I also have a working disk in Bay 10, however on port 2E (like the rest of my array)

The array is seeing bay 10, port 1E and 2E as being part of my array. This could be from the original install.

I have tried replacing the drive to see if it would sort itself out but no luck. The logical drive status is currently "Interim recovery" and percent rebuild complete is "Not available"

The array also sees unused space of ??? size?

Any suggestions how I get rid of this without loosing the logical drive and array?

I have attached screen shots.

Regards
Stephen
6 REPLIES 6
Stephen Fay

Screen shots
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

the port is different the one that has the issue is PORT 1E and the other one is PORT 2E

run an Array diagnostic utility report in order to get more information
what is the LED - light status on the HDD?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, as Karlo says, the disk reported as failed is on port 1E, not 2E like all the other disks. Those are the external ports of the Smart Array. Do you have one or two MSA60 connected there?
Did you had the MSA60 connected on one port and then moved it to the other port?

AFAIK an Smart Array does not allow you to remove a disk from an array, you'll have to delete te array and create it using only existing disks.
GIO_6
Occasional Advisor

According to the info provided (jpg file)
This error might be caused by the EMU of the MSA70.
If nothing else is connected to the P800, Port 1E : Box 1 : Bay 10 must be phantom drive.
I├в d recommend to bring everything down and then, to reseat all the components (drives, cables, I/O module).
Also as said before... An ADU report would help.
I├в d also check that latest fmw are installed for the P800 (5.20) and the MSA70 (1.42) ver 2.16 is coming soon.

P800
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1157691&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157686&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

MSA70
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3355735&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3355734&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

let us know how it goes.
"You┬┤ve always been taking but now you're giving..."
Stephen Fay

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for the info.

The ADU fails, and gives no report, dose not even list the array.

The LED status is normal, green and flashing with the other drives.

I have 1 MSA70 connected. I might hav had it connected to the other oprt during testing, this was the first SAS unit we got in.

Looks like a total rebuild is required.
GIO_6
Occasional Advisor

Stephen,

You could try reseating components, even clearing the config of the array by removing cache battery from the P800 (for about 3-5 min), and then use info from the drives to re-construct it.

But you are right you might need to delete array and create it again.

GIO.
"You┬┤ve always been taking but now you're giving..."