3836 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCI-X SmartArray 6402 perefomance issue

meno
Advisor

PCI-X SmartArray 6402 perefomance issue

Hello,

I would like to optimalize disk perfomance on my rp4440 server, which have PCI-X SmartArray 6402 (A9890A) and MSA-30 with 12x 73GB 15k disks. I tested some configuration e.g 2,4,6 and 8 disks with RAID 0 and stripe size 256k. I tested Sequential IO write rate (Xfer 128k,256k,512k,1024k,2048k), but for every configuration maximum rate was 38-40 MB/s.
On single disk rate was about 32 MB/s.
Why is on stripped disks performance so low?
I expected rate about 100MB/s.
How can I increase IO Rate?
For testing I used HP diskbench tool.

Thank you.
Marian

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Disk arrays. -HP Forum Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

Agreed, something doesn't sound right. Could you attach the output of the /opt/raidsa/bin/sainfo command?
meno
Advisor

I have attached the output from /opt/raidsa/bin/sainfo and also I have attached output from this command /opt/ddk/11.11/tools/cert/diskbench/db -a both -d raw -R "samples = 2" -S "samples = 2" c5t0d0 >raid0_8HDD.out.

Marian
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, we're looking at the data you posted.
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marian,

We were able to achieve some higher numbers than you posted with a very similar configuration. Many things can affect performance including PCI-X slot choice, disk RPM rates, number of processes (you might want to try more than 1), LUN configuration, cache settings, IO size (note that IOs less than 256KB go to cache, so you hit your best performance with 128KB IOs), processor speed, memory, firmware levels, etc.

Our first suggestion would be to increase the number of processes that diskbench uses and to make sure the card is inserted in one of the server's high performance slots.
meno
Advisor

Thanks for advice. Sorry for delay, but you was right.
With more processes result was better.
Also PCI-X card is inserted in 66MHz slot. But changing slot for this card must be done by our support provider. When will be done it I'll test performance again and then I send new results.

Marian
meno
Advisor

Hi Ron,

we successfuly moved PCI-card to 133 MHz slot and I tested I/O performance again.
My results was quite good now e.g. I achieved max sequential write about 180 MB/sec (12 disks and 10 processes).

Also I would like to ask one more question.
How can I test filesystem with diskbench tool? I have done test for raw device but for fs I can't find correct syntax. If I issue this command
db -d fs /testfs
db: The device - "/testfs" needs to be a block device.
Could you explain how it work.
Nowhere on HP site I could find information about it.
Or some link where can I find answer for my question.

Thanks.

Marian
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor

I'll ask around to see if anyone has tried to use dd with a filesystem. But I think we've probably only used it for raw IO.
Guillaume Genest
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
I'm looking to find this HP Diskbench tools.

I'm planing to move from a RAID5 of 4x300G 10K Uscsi to a MSA60 with 12x146Gig 15K SAS.

I want to calculate the speed before and after the move.

Where can i found the HP Benchmark tools or do you know about safe 3party software to use.
thank you,
meno
Advisor

Hello,

You can find diskbench on
HP Developer & Solution Partner Program (DSPP) page
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/portal/site/dspp.

Try find word diskbench through search box.

Marian