1753287 Members
5532 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PL1600R new array controller

Bart van Reems

PL1600R new array controller

I have a PL1600R (PIII-550)
with a standard Wide Ultra 3 controller and 2 mirrored drives (Win2K) and i want to replace the controller with a 431 array controller.
Can i just do that with the existing drives or do i have to start from scratch with empty drives ?
The current drive cage is a 6x1 inch drives type; do i have to replace that as well for WU3SCSI compliance ?
Thanks for info
2 REPLIES 2
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Bart;

You will need to start from scratch to move from a standard scsi controller to an array controller.

What kind of hard drives and cage do you have now?

If you have the wide-ultra cage and drives (they are beige with two purple hot-plug tabs and round LEDs) you will have to change the drive cage out to accommodate Wide-ultra3 hard drives.

If you have a drive cage that supports the thin black drives with one hot-plug lever, then you're set to go with WU3 drives already.

Sincerely,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Bart van Reems

Hello Janine,

thanks for your info, i have WU3SCSI drives in a standard PL1600 6 position WU2/3 SCSI drive cage so i guess i should be fine just swapping the connectioncable from the existing controller to the array controller and start from scratch with smartstart.
Have a nice weekend !
Bart