108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance off Netapp on fiber channel San

SOLVED
Go to solution
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

Performance off Netapp on fiber channel San

Does anybody know how is the performance of Netapp frames for OLTP applications and Fiber channel San environment ? Our applications are based on Oracle Database.

Regards,
Augusto
Augusto
2 REPLIES 2
Jim Carter_1
Advisor
Solution

I think you will be amazed at the performance of a NEW NetApp storage appliance. I say NEW because what you see out of the box won't last through a lot of production. NetApp uses the WAFL file system which performs quite quickly when empty. As the data grows however you will find that the block-address-translation (BAT) algorithm is actually slower than the JFS or even HFS that HP and EMC and others use. Even buying a NetApp two or three times larger than what you need won't address the BAT performance. If you are thinking of this as an appliance for an Oracle OLTP database, you might want to run some serious performance tests first. Specifically, make sure you do a full volume write to the storage space before trying to collect any meaningful metrics. My personal experience is that once the full volume has been written the NetApp performance is worse than either EMC or HP's comprable storage.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me
Augusto Vinhaes
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jim !

Thanks for your answer. It seems that the NeapApp is not being used with heavy OLTP applications and databases. We're buying a new storage system and I think we will be conservative. Have you tested the NetApp ? Here in Brazil the NetApp, as the others suppliers, always say that its storage is the best.

Regards,
Augusto
Augusto