Disk Enclosures
1752800 Members
5571 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pinout for RS-232 cable for Model 10 Nike (A3231A)

Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Pinout for RS-232 cable for Model 10 Nike (A3231A)

I need the pinout diagram for the RS-232 cables that come with the storage processors on the Model 10 Nike array (A3231A). I think the HP part # for the cable is 5061-5003. I have lost my cables and would like to be able to talk to my SP's again. :) Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Bill McNAMARA_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Pinout for RS-232 cable for Model 10 Nike (A3231A)

It works for me (tm)
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Have you tried http://partsurfer.hp.com?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Bill,

I know this is an old unit and won't even be on HP support much longer. However, dual active-active RAID controllers are not cheap (esp. from HP, unless you know of some HP products I'm not aware of) and I don't think I'll save enough in electricity costs to offset the cost. I've read the appropriate manual and know how to connect the SP to a terminal or MUX ... I just don't have the direct-to-terminal cables any more.

Harry,

Thanks for the link. I was not aware of this site. I may end up ordering a new cables if I can't figure out how to fabricate my own.
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

I can't find a spec for the cable... but I did find a partial pinout for the port on the array:

2 - receive data
3 - xmit data
7 - sig ground

The rest of the pins weren't labeled, but it looks like a standard RS-232 pinout.

Have you tried a standard null-modem cable?

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Mark Landin
Valued Contributor

Yes, I have tried a null-modem cable. The specified cable is a non-standard cable, which is why HP charges $22 each for them at the moment. :)
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Now you've got me wondering...

I just pulled out my old, trust break-out box (anyone remember using one of those?)... 2 is normally xmit, and 3 recv.

So, I think you need a cable that's straight through, at least on pins 2, 3, and 7. (remember, the spec I found for the array's port was backwards from this). You may have to loop 5 and 6 to 20 on the terminal side to get CTS and DSR high from DTR in order for it to work, but I would try just 2, 3, and 7 to start with.

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
David Atkins_4
Advisor

male female
pin pin
2 3
3 2
4,5 shorted
6 5
7 7
8 5
20 5
6,8,20 shorted 8,6,4 shorted

Dave
www.cypress-tech.com