Disk Enclosures
1748265 Members
4298 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Possible to have multiple SCSI channels for DL380G3 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
KL Wong
Occasional Advisor

Possible to have multiple SCSI channels for DL380G3 ?

We have a DL380G3 with SmartArray 642.

Would like to check if it is possible to configure the SCSI drives into 3 different SCSI channels (0,1), (2,3), (4,5) in order to spread/maximize I/O.

If yes, how to control which drive go to which channel ?

Appreciate any assistance. KL
4 REPLIES 4
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

It's not possible. SA-642 has 2 SCSI channels - 1 internal (for servers internal drive cage) and 1 external (for external drive enclosure).
Andy_Stor
Valued Contributor

Hi KL,

Generally DL380G3 ships with 5i controller, Seeing the SCSI IDs, I believe that you are referring to the internal disks, have you connected the internal disks to the SA-642 card???? If yes then the previous reply is true we cannot divide it into 2 seperate bus, for more details you can attach the ADU report of the server.

Andy
KL Wong
Occasional Advisor

So, that means if I have the Smart Array 642 installed, the best I can get is 2 channels. SCSI (0,1) via the built-in 5i controller, and SCSI (2,3,4,5) via the 642 controller. Is my understanding correct ?

If I then want to move the SCSI (2,3,4,5) current RAID 5 off the Smart Array 5i over to the Smart Array 642 card, do I need to rebuild everything or just a cable change ? Objective to do this is to get Ultra320 speed off my SCSI drive currently sitting on SCSI (2,3,4,5).

Many thanks for your help. KL
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

I believe you should be able to connect both channels from the 642 to the onboard drives.

If you look at the user guide here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_303130-003/TPM_303130-003.pdf

Page 103 details what you need for Duplex cabling. However rather than leaving the short cable connected to the system board (5i controller) connect another long cable to the 642 controller. You will still need to install the terminator.

You'll then have drives 0,1 on one channel and 2,3,4,5 on the other.

The RAID-5 should be recognised fine by the 642.

Cheers,

Rob