New Discussion юеВ

Powering down storage array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Medford
Valued Contributor

Powering down storage array

Hi All.

I have an L3000 hpux 11.0 server. It is connected via SCSI to an AutoRAID array and also via Fibre Channel to an IBM Shark array.

The IBM guys need to upgrade the Microcode on the Shark and will be powering it down on an upcoming weekend. Fortunately the filesystems I have over on the Shark are not critical.

Can I simply umount the filesystems mounted over there prior to the array shutdown? Or will I need to completely remove the LVM definitions for those disks too?

The EMS is already disabled for those disks because it reports bogus errors on them all the time.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: Powering down storage array

All you should need to do is umount the filesystems. I would also do a vgchange -a n /dev/vgxx. You should then be able to power down. As long as the IBM Mr. Goodwrench guys leave the LUN's defined (and they should) then you simply come back in and do a vgchange -a y /dev/vgxx and remount the filesystems.

Of course, the smart thing to do is make sure that you have good backups before these guys arrive. One of God's rules is that if you have good backups then you don't need them.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
PIYUSH D. PATEL
Honored Contributor

Hey,

From the HP side, you can just unmount the filesystems. No need to remove the LVM definitions for the disks. Simply deactivate the volume groups. Check you backed up data also !!!

Piyush
Hai Nguyen_1
Honored Contributor

Tim,

You can unmount the filesystems on the Shark array and then try to take it offline. For VA7100 array,
the following command:

# armmgr -s shut

will shutdown the array, take it offline and make it unavailable to the host. A restart will bring it back online. I hope that there is a similar command for your Shark array.

Hai