Disk Enclosures
1753674 Members
5465 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with drive roaming...netraid mismatch!!

Michael Ingensand
Occasional Contributor

Problem with drive roaming...netraid mismatch!!

Hello,
I'm talking about a netserver LH3 with the newest firmware and bios revisions.
The problem is: There was one hot swap drive cage in this server with 4X4G hard disks configured as 2 logigal drives.The ID's were from 0-3.With the ability of drive roaming I took 4 new 36Giga drives,put them in the same slots in the cage as the other disks, made a RAID5 of it and installed Win2K on it without problems.After this installation I put back in the old disks,got into the controller bios and picked "VIEW/ADD/DELETE" configuration.The controller recognized the old disks, changed the configuration to the old logical drives and everything worked fine till then.Yesterday I put in the second mass storage cage,activated the SCSI-B channel and put in the four 36G disks, but now with the separators.So,I think the ID's in the first cage changed because the slots were now different.When i look now in the controllers Bios "View/Add/Delete configuration" there is always the old logical drive configuration.Wether the 4 physical drives are recognized by the controller and I say "View configuration from disks" there is always the old configuration with two logical drives.So I put back in the old drives in the same slots and this works fine.I can boot the system.
Question is:Is the array information on the new disks lost, or is it still in the VRAM.
So there were 20 hours installation for nothing.......
P.S. When the system boots it claims 2 logical drives found, 1 logical drive missing...press CRTL-M and so on .....

Thanks for answers
never change a running system,except of a failure
2 REPLIES 2
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with drive roaming...netraid mismatch!!

Drive roaming works only on the same SCSI channel. Since other disk cage in on second channel you canot use drive roaming.
The only way to move drives to other channel without loosing information on it is to clear configuration from drives move them to other cage and configure logical drives again with the same parameters as previousliy (same strip size, same drive order and logical drive sizes) save configuration and exit configuration utility without initializing drives.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Problem with drive roaming...netraid mismatch!!

hi
This is a problem not related to raoming but to an "Unresolved configuration mismatch", in fact you cannot merge two differnts configurations all toghether because on the first group of hdd you have a config, on the new group another config.
The way indicated by Enes is corect, you have to clear the config and recreate it with all the disk without initialize the drives

bye
marino