1748080 Members
5248 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Problems connecting two EVAs 4100 with two FCIP mpx110

Luis_135
Advisor

Problems connecting two EVAs 4100 with two FCIP mpx110

I have two sites with one EVA4100 in each site. I have one Command View in each site.
I have CA license for each EVA

I have a FCIP distance gateway in each site.

I think that i have followed all configuration steps correctly in order to connect both EVAs.

IP gateways can see each other and they are properly connected to its corresponding EVA.

Problem is i cannot create a DR group from any of the Command Views. I have never done this before and im not sure how this is supposed to work.

Am i supposed to see both EVAs from one Command View? (because i don't)

Im probably missing one step and im not sure what it is.

Any help or comment will be very helpful.

thanks!!
8 REPLIES 8
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Do you have one zone per fabric where all ports of both EVAs are in?
Only if the two EVAs "see" each other you can set up CA¨

Cheers
Pete
I love storage
Luis_135
Advisor

Peter,

thanks for the post!

in each site, i have configured each switch to have 23 zones, each of zones has as members the two ports where eva is connected plus one of the other ports.

For example, assuming EVA controllers are connected to ports 17 and 18, the zones are configured depending on the ports as this:

zone01: ports 17,18,1
zone02: ports 17,18,2
zone03: ports 17,18,3

Not sure why i did it this way, i have been told to by some HP engineer.

I have two switches in each site (redundant paths). Each switch is configured as explained above, with different domain id's all four of them.

I hope you can see my mistake, because im pretty lost.

Thanks again!!!
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You are obviously doing port zoning. That is OK but I would use WWN zonig if possible since new stuff like NPIV etc require WWN zoning! See the HP SAN design guide and the FOS5.x admin guide on
http://www.hp.com/go/sandesign and
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=454522

What you need is a CA Zone where all ports of both EVAs are in!
Fabric 1 consists of switch A where EVA-A is connected to ports 17 and 18 + switch B where EVA-B is connected to ports 17 and 18.

See my attached drawing that shows the zones.

Now you need to create a single zone that contains switch A ports 17 and 18 + switch B ports 17 and 18.
Otherwise the EVAs do not have a chance to "see" each other.

I recommend also havin a look at the CA planning guide on:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=471572

Cheers
Pete
I love storage
Luis_135
Advisor

Thanks for such a complete answer!!

Let me put it in my words to see if i understood correctly:

-WWN zones are based in wwns of the hosts, so it doesnt matter where i plug in the switch th efiber cable.

-i have to do one zone per host, containing wwns of the host and the two EVA controllers

-for the mpx host, i have to do one zone containig wwn of the mpx, Controller1-site1, controller2-site1, controller1-site2 and controller2-site 2. But, how can i add the wwns of the remote controllers since i dont see them? manually?

-what about domain ids? do they have to be different? does it matter?

Thanks a lot, i hope im not asking too much, help so far is been great!

Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You cannot succeed if you do not see both EVAs.

To your questions:

-i have to do one zone per host, containing wwns of the host and the two EVA controllers
A: Yes

-for the mpx host, i have to do one zone containig wwn of the mpx, Controller1-site1, controller2-site1, controller1-site2 and controller2-site 2. But, how can i add the wwns of the remote controllers since i dont see them? manually?
A: No! The CA zone must only contain the ports of the EVA controllers; the mpxes must be transparent for the fabrics;
The mpx110 must be setup in a way that the switches merge over the two locations and build two fabrics as shown in the drawing in my last post.
This also makes unique domain IDs in a fabric mandatory!!

The document to us for the setup is the IP Distance Gateway user guide from
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01217690/c01217690.pdf

Important requirement stated on page 41:
Use FC World Wide Port names (WWPN) based zoning.

Have you set up the routers as described in pages 41 - 45?

I assume you are using Brocade switches.
Configuring zones is described in the admin guide starting on page 361 on
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01175221/c01175221.pdf

Note; this is for FOS 5.3. If you have a different FOS on your switches check the respective manual.

good luck
Pete
I love storage
fh-djb
Advisor

What kind of fiber switches are your 110's plugged into? We have a similar setup with 8100's and redundant gateways. The fiber ports where the 110's are plugged in have to be configured as 'extended ports' and should be locked down to 2Gb/s as they (the 110's) do not support 4Gb/s.

The problem you need to solve first is to make sure you can see both fiber switches (e.g. with the Brocade FOS gui) in the same fabric. Then you have to zone accordingly, too.
Davis Paul
Valued Contributor

Hi Luis,
Did you check the firmware version of fcipgateway is a new one?
Regards
Davis Paul.
jpmartin
Regular Advisor

Hi all,

on MPR400, we must create LSAN zone to have a zone with EVA's both side.

So, it seems that doing FCIP route on MPX110's cause a merge between the 2 remote site.

Is it exact ?

Jean-Pierre