Disk Enclosures
1752401 Members
5575 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Proliant DL3080G3

PaulMcG

Proliant DL3080G3

We currently have a Proliant DL380G3 configured with 4 drives, RAID 5, in drive bays 0-3. We want to setup a dual channel RAID array card but in order to do dual channel on this server, I would have to move these drives to bays 2-5. Is this possible to do without losing the array?

Paul
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Paul:

You should not need to move the drives at all unless you want them all on one channel.

What is the end goal for the drive configuration?

What purpose is the second channel going to serve on this server?

If you still want to move the drives, you should be able to move them with no problem as the configuration is stored on the drives themselves. When you reboot, the smart array will load the disk config, see that the drives are there, but in different locations (or should)... complain about it a little and then reconfigure itself to accomadate the changes and boot.

The thing you need to keep in mind is that f you are goign to be changing the Boot Controller, you need to load the controller into the server first so that your OS detects it, (assuming a Windows environment)... load a registry entry so that the os can boot from it, etc.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
PaulMcG

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. The end goal is to have a dual RAID controller with one array being the existing drives (4x72GB) this is the C: drive, and another array being two new drives (2x147GB) being the D: drive. But now as I write this out my only options for the second RAID array is RAID 0 or 1 which is a waste.

Paul
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I have an option for you...

Upgrade the 4 72GB drives to 146GB drives and you will have additional space for a D: drive. Once you upgrade all 4 drives (and/or add additional drives), that additional space will be available to create a new Logical drive which you can make your "D" drive.

Any reason you need to have it on a separate channel?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
PaulMcG

To upgrade the existing 72GB drives to 146GB drives, I would:

1) Replace each drive one by one and let them rebuild

2) After all drives are replaced and rebuilt, Allocate the additional space to a D: drive

??????
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Thats how it works, yes.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE