New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pros & Cons Between Va7410 & MA8000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Pros & Cons Between Va7410 & MA8000

Hi Gurus,

We are checking the posibilities to change our FC60 disk Array by a new storage cabinet with 2TB. The posibilities are MA8000 or VA7410 as SAN.
We have a two nodes N-CLASS with Service Guard.
Which of those do you recommend me and why?
We are running Siebel with an Oracle Database in this cluster and we need a 24x7 system because this is a call-center.

Thanks a lot,

Justo.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Network Attached Storage (NAS) (Enterprise) to Disk Array - HP Forums moderator

Help is a Beatiful word
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

The VA7410 is a newer design - about a year old. The MA8000 is a few years old now. The new model is the EVA.

You would get better performance from the VA7410 then the MA8000, as the VA has faster processors, more cache, and Fibre Channel drives.

A fairer comparison would be VA7410 and EVA. The EVA has performance equal to or better than the VA7410.

Also, in my opinion, the software drivers for HP-UX are more solid with the VA7410 than the MA8000 or EVA, but I am sure this will change over time.

I'm not sure about "official" MC/ServiceGuard support of the MA8000 (ie: certified by our ServiceGuard folks)... some of that testing is still in progress, and the SG website seems to be down this morning, so I'm having trouble looking it up.

The big question is do you want AutoRAID or traditional RAID? The VA7410 is an AutoRAID device, and the EVA is more traditional (it's virtualized, but it doesn't do AutoRAID).

The EVA is also has a slightly higher availability rating, as it has some additional fault tolerant features.

I hope this helps!

Good luck!
No matter where you go, there you are.
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Vincent.

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Justo Exposito
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Again Vincent,

Do you know where to find a manual or information about the posibilities and basic knowledge for virtual arrays, autorraid etc...?
(Something like differences, features, posibilities etc...)

Many thanks in advance.

Justo.
Help is a Beatiful word
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor