Disk Enclosures
1751932 Members
4814 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question Expanded Array

Question Expanded Array

Hi. I have 3 HD┬┤s 72GB (RAID 5)= 144GB. I need Expanded with 2 HD 72GB news.
Hp utility Array expanded array add two hard disk news, ok, but My question is it:

I┬┤ve 1 partition 144GB, I want expanded united with new space free, but what is it diferences make Diskpart(Windows 2000) or expanded united logical (software HP utiity array)?

Thank you!!
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Felipe:

If your disk is DATA only, does not contain OS or System partition, then diskpart is the easiest way to expand your data partition. In other words, disk part does not work on the "C:" drive or any other partition that is on the same logical drive as "C:".

If this 144GB logical drive is totally separate from your system drive, diskpart is the way to go.

I am not awaye of any other utility from HP aside from Storage Volume Growth, which only works with EVA storage (supposedly).

If you mean extending the logical drive with ACU, then that is a step that you must take before you use diskpart. The system does not know about the new free space untill you give it that free space.

The steps for expanding a drive are...

1. Add more disks and Expand Array
2. Extend your logical drive
3. Use diskpart.exe to extend your partitions (or some other 3rd party utility)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)

Thank you, but I don├В┬┤t undertand diferent between 2. Extend your logical drive
and 3. Use diskpart.exe to extend your partitions (or some other 3rd party utility).

I believe that with step 2 The partition exist add with new array expanded.

The step 1, physically you expanded array.
The step 2, I believe that logically you expanded partition.

I├В┬┤m confused diferents with step 2 and 3.

Thank you!!!!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Felipe:

There are 3 levels to your storage...

The Array is at the top level. The Array holds logical drives.

The Logical Drive is at the middle level. The logical drives are configured fro mthe array and presented to the host.

Disk partitions are at the bottom level. Disk partitions are only available to be configured from the OS.

Step 1 - Expanding your Array gives you more free space to allocate as NEW logical drives OR to EXTEND existing Logical drives.

Step 2 - Extending the Logical Drive allows the OS to SEE the new space and make it capable of extending partitions.

Step 3 - Extending the partitions with diskpart.exe is well... the end of the process. The OS will "SEE" the extended space, but will NOT use it automatically. You have t o tell the OS what to do with the new free space. Either create a new partition or extend an existing partition.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE

How many time for finish three steps?

I'm read 15minutes x 1GB (Expanded array)
+ 15minutes x 1GB (Expanded logical drive) +
xxx minutes with expanded logical drive with diskpart of Windows 2000.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

diskpart should only take a few seconds. The majority of the time will be spent on expanding and extending the array/logical drive.

Depending on how much data is in use, your expand/extend times will vary. I have heard of it taking days to complete.

It all can be done while online so the server does not need to be brought down at any time. Even for diskpart, it can be online.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE