7410 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: RAID 0+1 performance with different number of drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brent Boisvert

I realize that placing only one disk per channel is extreme and not practical.

Consider a three disk RAID5 on a two-channel controller. Channel A will have two drives on it and that SCSI bus will be twice as busy as Channel B with only one drive. Channel A will have a higher bus latency. This is why controllers with more channels outperform controllers with less channels. This performance hit may be very, very small, but if the server is passing many I/O intensive requests to the disk channel (writes in particular), it could multiply the latency.

Anyway, I don't believe that with the hardware stated in the original post that you should expect to see a performance gain using more drives in RAID0+1. I agree with Leif that file size may also factor here. One large file may yeild better results that many smaller files (sequential disk access .vs random disk access)

I hope this discussion has been helpful.

Brent
Michael Neymit

First of all thank you everybody for your replies!

Let me try to answer some of the questions above. In the tests I conducted I was copying files of various sizes, but all of them were fairly large: 7GB, 29GB, 3GB. Based on the times recorded, I calculated the average throughput (FileSize/Seconds). I found that on RAID5 the rate of file copying was 7.5MB/sec. On RAID0+1 it was 11.8 MB/sec. Not anywhere close to the limitations of SCSI bus or disk I/O, but what is the limitation of RAID controller per channel? Unfortunatly I can not provide any more details about the RAID system I used other then what was stated in the original post -- it is 4200 Compaq controller with the default settings for both RAID5 and RAID0+1.

Thank you!