1748177 Members
4296 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID 0 Recovery

Badger111

RAID 0 Recovery

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before please.

We have ML530 G2 with a Smart Array 5300 controller. This controller has two logical drives on it, one in RAID 1 + 0 and the second one in RAID 0.

Its the second logical drive we have an issue with. One of my colleagues (not realizing it was RAID 0 obviously) decided to remove one of the disks from this second logical drive. This took the logical drive offline.

In order to try and get this back online we have replaced the disk with exactly the same disk that was removed. The ACU reports a failed logical drive and gives us the option to re-enable the logical drive.

My question is if I re-enable the logical drive will I lose data or not?

I can still see data in Windows 2003 for the failed logical drive I just can't read any of it.

Any help or experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Steve.
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID 0 Recovery

Half of the data of the RAID-0 logical disk is gone with the physical disk drive that has been removed. It is pure 'luck' that Windows 2003 can still see and interpret some metadata - maybe this is even in the cache.

Maybe if the original disk drive is put back and the logical disk is re-enabled, the data is still there, but without the original disk - a great chance to test your backup strategy.
Badger111

Thanks Uwe for the response.

We actually had 16 disks in RAID 0, we have replaced the removed disk with the exact same physical disk and re-enabled the logical drive.

This has now come back online in Windows with all the data intact. We had to reactivate the disk in disk management in Windows too.

Many thanks for the response.

Steve.
Badger111

As per post above. Points awarded to Uwe.

Many thanks

Steve.