New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 5 Disk Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hey Punit,

Your statement is contradicting with Victor's restricted answer. I hope that you would have tried it in your environment.

Hey Itboff,

I think you have a solution now. Once you have a bigger RAID volume, either you can create bigger LUNs for existing volumes (One at a time) and mount the new one after copying the data and then delete the old volume to use the space for other volume migration.

Or you may use DISKPART to expand the original volumes, but I believe it needs contiguous blocks to do that.

Let all of us know what you achieved.
Arakattack_1
Advisor

Logical raid will be automagicly expanded but as i told you, we have to expand partition based on OS. you should find answer regarding expanding partition volume instead of raid configuration.
itboff
Occasional Advisor

Yes completed the work on the 31st of may. I basically replaced each disk individually (allowing each disk to build before replacing it. Took about 5 Hours per disk). Then I ran the HP Array Utility to expand the array. Once this was complete (left it overnight) I used the windows Computer Management option to expand the disk. Worked a treat!
I did this to the user store which is not a boot drive (I don├в t think it is possible to expand a boot disk in Windows?)
Thanks for your help guys

Chris
Oh yeah as an added bonus I used one of my old disks for shadow copies :) saving me lots of time already!
itboff
Occasional Advisor

Please see the post above :)