1753474 Members
4562 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID 5 disk migration to MSA500

Mike_Cool
Occasional Advisor

No Thats not possible because the old server is allready dead and its working anymore
John Litwin
Occasional Advisor

That's unfortunate. You've probably considered them, but here's what I see as options:

1) Get the old server running. There's all dead and then there's mostly dead. If possible, replace whatever's hooped even if it's with used parts.

2) Go through 'HP StorageWorks Modular Smart Array 500 System User Guide' page 4-7. This is the only description I've found from HP of the disk migration process for the MSA500. I imagine that it can be applied to your situation with the new server. Apparently, the migration should be easy. However, as we both know, this is not always the case. If your hardware problem was the RAID controller itself, I suppose the possibility exists that the RAID metadata on the disks is corrupted.

3) If all else fails and your data is worth it, take the disks to a data recovery service and have them try to retrieve what they can.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

It seem to be a challange.

I wrote how things work, when it work as expected.

Normally. Lets imagine you suffer from a defective Smart Array controller.
You get a new identical controller.
You install the new controller and power on the server. And it will find the RAID configuration from the drives, and will boot and run without any problems what so ever.

In you case, something isn't working as it expected.

If I were in your situation, here's what I would do.
Get the server in known good state.

To do that:
remove the disk's that you want to use/keep.
put them away, to keep them safe.
Then use another disk(s) for trouble shooting the server.

Once you got the server in a know good state, then install the disk's and try again.

But thinking over you're problem:
You tell us, that the server see the disks, but it don't see the RAID.
If that is true, then the META data seem to be deletet.
Are you sure, that is a correct observation?
If you hit F8, when prompted by the RAID controller, is there no logical drives?
Only physical drives?

Have you put the disks in the server along with an existing Array, so that you got 2 times Array A, on the same RAID controller?

Have you deletet the cmos, from the RBSU (BIOS setup)? If so you might accidential deletet the RAID.

Note:
I did see a strage problem, due to a bad disk, aboute a month ago, in that case it was SAS disks though, RAID 1.
But when both disks was installed, it would not boot etc.
If i put in 1 disk only, no matter wich, it bootet fine.
It was caursed by a bad disk.

But anyway, do try to get the server in a known good state.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Mike_Cool
Occasional Advisor

I Jag,

Thanks for the reply. I however tried the option with other disks and it detect the RAID from those disks but when i try on the disk which i need i get error in Array Diagnostic report "RIS Within the Disks do not match". I have tried it in like 3 servers and all 3 servers i get same error message.

I have cleared teh old RAID configuration from server before i inserted this disk but still same issue.

There should be something from HP where we have the option to force the RAID configuration and logical partition from Disk and also to resolve the RIS mismatch. I have searched most of the blogs and there has never been a solution for this problem.

MOst of the cases we need to rebuild the RAID from scratch and restore data from backup. This totally spoils the concept of data redundancy on RAID.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

"RIS Within the Disks do not match" - Thats bad.

I have no knowledge of a tool, that can save that.

RAID is a good security, but it's not 100% safety.
You still must take backup.

You do have a risk, of multible disk failure, that can take down you RAID.
Other failure can corrupt you RAID.

The most common reason for dataloss, is user errors and virus.

Then there's theft and fire.

I do understand your frustration, but it do happen.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo