New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID for NIKE20 Disk Storage

SOLVED
Go to solution
nibble
Super Advisor

RAID for NIKE20 Disk Storage

hi guys,

currently, aside from internal scsci, i have a nike20 6Gb Ext Disk Array (6disk in Raid 1/0) and a nike20 4Gb Ext disk Array (4 disk in Raid 1/0)... im planning to reinstall our box and to have a bigger space, is it possible to reconfigure the 6 and 4 g Nike20 into bigger capacities? if so, may i know of any configurations/documentations/software needed for this? any suggestion would be much appreciated..
7 REPLIES 7
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

I have not done this for a while but I can give you some ideas. If I understand you correctly you have 2 Nikes one with 6 disks and the other with 4 disks. I would configure them in Raid5 since it's versatile and skip the hot spare. You do not want it to be in Raid0 without any fault tolerant. Raid5 needs minimum of 3 disks so you'll be fine. To bind those disks into their desired Raid level the quickest way is to connect a dumb terminal via the serial port (X or Y) at the back of the array. You can bind them on a single channel, later on when you eventually filled the empty slots with more disks you can choose to bind the other half of the disks from another channel. Now the exact instruction to bind the disks is actually quick easy to follow (from the screen). You'll see a ascii visual presentation of the nike layout on the screen as soon as you connect them to your dumb terminal (baud rate 9600 I think). Use the tab key to move the cursor around in order to select which disk to bind. You will be presented with a choice of raid level to bind the selected disks and when you're ready just enter "b" to bind them. The binding progress will be shown visually on the array map. When it's all done you should be able to se the devices in ioscan output.
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Here is the doc .. take a look at my reply with the attachment document.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x8037af48a9e5d5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.html
nibble
Super Advisor

hi chan,

btw, this is a k200 box. and what ive mentioned above is the current config.with ur raid recommendation, i wonder if these are possible:

a. for 1st nike (6 6gb)- what is the approximate max capacity? is it possible to divide it to two smaller nikes? say 1 nike for 3 6-g and another 1 with the same # of disks?

b. for 2nd nike (4 4gb) - approx max capacity?

finally chan, with this number of disks (10 all in all), may i have your reccomendation for a raid config that would really maximize the total capacity to at least 30 gig? again, if i use a nonfault tolerant, the total disk is 6x6=36 + 4x4=16, which is about 52..

S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor
Solution

a) If you go with raid5 which I would recommend you can make a "rule-of-thumb" estimate that the total amount of space out of 1 disk would be used for parity. This mean with raid5 you should get about 5x6GB=30GB.

b) Same here, with raid5 you would get 3x4GB=12GB.

So with that I think it should be good enough for you 30+12=42GB total.
nibble
Super Advisor

thank you very much chan. your inputs are much appreciated. =)
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor
nibble
Super Advisor

Thanks