New Discussion юеВ

Re: RAID1, Mirror arrange NOT using smartstart

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alastair Baldwin
Occasional Advisor

RAID1, Mirror arrange NOT using smartstart

Hi,

I want to create a mirror on a Windows 2000 Server system on a new HP DL360.

I am having problems with seeing the mirror in Windows 2000's Disk Manager. It can only see a single disk. If I load HP Array Configuration Utility it does show the drives are mirrored.

How do I get it to show in Windows 2000 that these drives are Mirrored? I need to do this to show my boss that these are really configured like this.

Thank you
Alastair Baldwin
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Since you are using a "hardware" mirror, the OS will never be able to see the configuration... only that there is a Logical Unit out there providing the space the server uses.

If you need to "show" that the drives are mirrored, you NEED to use ACU or... you need co re-configure and use a "software" mirror within the OS.

Whats the difference? Hardware based Mirror, the array controller handles the operations releaving the burden from the CPU. Software based Mirror, the OS/CPU handles the operations and overhead for the drive config lowering your max potential performance power for the server.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I would suggest the hardware mirror and a way to talk your boss into the fact that ACU IS the only way.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)