1752323 Members
5602 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID5 - Cannot extend logical drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID5 - Cannot extend logical drive

I am not able to extend a logical drive on a Smart 431 controller under the Windows 2000 server OS. Why? I have a single array
consisting of 3 drives and want to add a fourth. After successfully expanding the array using Array Config Utility 2.51.65.1, I get
the warnings about data loss with W2K when attempting to extend the logical drive to include the new space. Where do I go from
here. Anyway, we ended up creating another logical drive on the array. Now I have the 3 drive raid5 setup and the additional 9.1
GB logical drive (1). How do I get that 9.1 GB drive back into the original Logical drive (0).

I shouldn't have to mess with Windows' disk management.
Isn't this what hardware RAID is supposed to do?

All I want is a 4 drive array that W2K server only sees as a single logical drive.

Thanks,

Mike
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID5 - Cannot extend logical drive

Mike,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same type of issue but I haven't seen any resolutions. just wondering
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID5 - Cannot extend logical drive

Was the Array created with this controller?
If not I have the same problem with windows NT.
I have posted a possible solution suggested to me, but do not have it tested. I am asking others if they have heard anything.

Also, I've heard that logical drive expansion was removed from the SSCD ver 4.9 because of some issue with this. 4.80 is ok, and 5 will be ok as well.