1752587 Members
4272 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID5

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

RAID5

Our company is using a Compaq Proliant 3000 equipped with a Smart-2DH array controller. The array was configured as 1 array A with 4 (RAID5) 9,1GB harddisks as logical disk 1. We added an other 9,1 GB harddisk to the array, so the array contains now 5 harddisks.

We also want to expand the logical disk 1 but that is not possible without deleting the existing partitions and data. We configured the new 9,1 GB harddisk as RAID 5 and we made a new logical disk. On this moment we have 1 array with 2 logical disks. The array contains 5 9,1 GB harddisks. The first logical disk is 26029 MB and the second logical disk is 8677 MB.

The first logical disk contains 3 partitions. We want to expand the 3th partition (E), so we made a volume set with the diskspace from the new harddisk. It worked, but what happens if the new harddisk has a hardware failure? Does the new harddisk use RAID 5? Is it safe to use this configuration for a few months?

I hope that you understand my question and can give me an answer.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID5

If all the drives attached to the Smart Controller are configured as part of the RAID 5 Array , they are protected under the RAID 5 Fault Tolerance regardless of how they are partitioned .......
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: RAID5

Thanks. If you look in the Compaq Array Configuration Utility you see one array,
Array A, and two logical drives. I was asking this question because it was strange
to add one disk and you can configure this disk as RAID5.

We have 1 logical drive RAID5 from 26029 MB and 1 logical drive RAID 5 from 8677 MB. They all are protected under the RAID5 tolerance?