New Discussion юеВ

Re: RSS Disk state

SOLVED
Go to solution
steveo_3
Advisor

RSS Disk state

Hi Guys,

I have 2 disk groups on my EVA3000. One has 16 disks, the other 8. The RSS disk state for the 8 disk group is mirrored, however for the 16 disk group, command view is reporting it as NONE. Is this correct, surely it should be mirrored too.
Also, going in to a particular disk in the 16 disk group, the RSS ID is 3, and the RSS index is 2. What does this mean?
I have just purchased 5 more disks, how best should I distribute them among the 2 groups to keep the RSS state optimun
Cheers for any help
steve
21 REPLIES 21
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Each RSS has an RSS ID number (1...). The RSS INDEX (0...) is used to address disk drives within an RSS.

RSS state NONE happens when a disk pair (even and odd RSS index, e.g. 0+1, 2+3) is placed within a single disk drive enclosure.

A disk group should be configured with an even number of disk drives, because the mirrored chunks from a VRAID-1 virtual disk are always placed on disk pairs.

To fix the RSS state, you have to find out which pair of disks is involved.
steveo_3
Advisor

Thanks Uwe,

I'm a bit new to EVA's. How would i go about determining which pair of disks are invloved in the RSS, and how would i rectify this once i've isolated them?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

I can find it out for you. Fire up a SSSU session and capture the output of either:

> set options display = 255
> show disk full

or (preferred):

> ls disk full XML

Put the output in a .TXT file and attach it to a new message - do not use cut&paste into the reply field.
steveo_3
Advisor

thanks alot Uwe

txt attached
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Here we are - please see attachment.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> and how would i rectify this once i've isolated them?

Sorry, I forgot:
I would swap the disk drives in bays 01:06 and 02:05 - this will keep the quorum disk 01:05 on enclosure 1.
steveo_3
Advisor

Great!! Thanks

Appreciate all the help
steveo_3
Advisor

Hi Uwe,

Just as a matter of interest, how did you go about analysing that output? Is there some sort of tool, in case I have the same issue again

thanks
steve
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

I have some scripts that I might be able to post. XML SSSU output is processed by some VMS dcl command procedures and then displayed with an XSLT stylesheet. If you don't have VMS, this would at least kind of show you how to do it on other systems.

I'll let you know.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.