1752805 Members
5518 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 1+0 Raid 10

Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

Here's a document I downloaded from HP some time ago: I don't remember where I got it, though. I probably got it from a NetServer manuals page since that is my main area of interest.

I also tend to rename these documents when I find them because HP usually gives it some number for a title that is indecipherable to us mere mortals. So, this isn't the original title but it is an HP document that does a thorough and pretty clear job of explaining the different RAID levels.

I hope you find it useful.

Alicia
Alicia White
Esteemed Contributor

I found a "Raid Tutorial" PDF on HP's site. It looks to be better than the other one I posted: it explains everything (difference between logical & physical drives, good explanation of each RAID which details the advantages/disadvantages, etc.).

http://h200007.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpn12749/lpn12749.pdf

Alicia
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Michael,
on mirrored stripesets the 'mirrorset handler' does not know how to 'poke' into the underlying stripesets - it just sees two large arrays of logical blocks that it sends the write (and read) requests to. It is the 'stripeset handler' that decides how the disk blocks are mapped (think about the chunk size).

Sure, it would 'make sence' if it worked the way you describe, but that would require special knowledge of the mirror and stripe handlers - you very likely won't find that in a strictly layered architecture.

Alicia,
thanks for those documents - they are indeed useful.