1748202 Members
3079 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Raid 10 upgrade

John Wonsik

Raid 10 upgrade

I need to upgarde a Raid 10 array from 4-36GB drives to 4-72GB drives on a Proliant DL380. Is there any way to do this upgrade without having to erase the array and rebuilding from scratch as this Raid 10 consists of drive C (OS drive) and drive D.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Raid 10 upgrade

I assume the RAID is made through a SmartArray controller?

You should be able to rip out one disk drive, replace it with a larger disk drive and wait for the rebuild to complete. Repeat this for each of your disk drives. After the last disk drive has rebuild you should see free space at the end of the disk array.

The rebuilds will take quite some time, so you

- might want to increate the rebuild priority

- make sure you have a good backup, because the array works in a reduced state (without redundancy) for quite some time
John Wonsik

Yes, the server is using the integrated smart array controller. My question is that when all the drives have been swapped out with the larger drives, what is needed to do to expand the drive space so that the OS sees this new space.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You have two choices:

1) create a new logical drive in the disk array's free space. You will get a new disk drive on Windows.

2) Expand (or is Extent the right word? I always mix them up) the existing logical disk on the SmartArray controller. Then you might have to reboot the server so that Windows recognizes that the disk has become bigger, but it's possible that a 'rescan disks' is sufficient.

Now you will see that the disk has a partition and there is free space behind it. You can create another partition or, if this is a basic disk, use Microsoft's DISKPART utility to expand an existing partition.

Where to get:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/diskpart-o.asp

How to use example:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/38362/38362.html