New Discussion юеВ

Raid 4Si & SC-10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lutz Hild
Occasional Advisor

Raid 4Si & SC-10

Hi,
we have a L-class with a RAID4Si-controller (installed in slot 11) connected to a SC-10 (2 BCC's) with 4x36GB disks. I've installed the patches PHKL_21270 and PHKL_22030. Ioscan still shows the device as 'unknown, -1, unclaimed...'. The SBA driver is active. What do I have to do, to make the device accessible to the system?
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Raid 4Si & SC-10

sounds like you still need to configure the array:
type: irm
select configure, then automatic configuration. the system should scan for drives and configure them into a raid mode depending on how many it finds.
confirm the config, exit irm, then run irdisplay -f to make unix see the lun, then insf -e to create the device files..info is in users guide if you want to select different raid configuration.
Lutz Hild
Occasional Advisor

Nelson,
the problem was the exitcode 22e (invalid argument) during startup. The irmd couldn't start because there was 'no RAID-controller found, exiting'.
Anyway, the problem is fixed. I switched to 'split mode' on the SC-10 and it works.
Thanks for our response.
Ron Lawson_1
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Lutz,

It sounds like you ran into a common problem. The RAID 4Si can only be used as a single initiator device. That is, you can only have one path from the I/O card to the disks. When you hooked up two cables to two BCC's in full bus mode, you had two paths to the disks. In split bus mode, each BCC only accesses half of the disk slots, so you are OK. Another way to do the same thing would be to use only one cable and one BCC in full bus mode.

Ron Lawson
RAID 4Si Project Manager