1751765 Members
4952 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Raid 5 Array Showing Two (2) Drive Letter "D"

duranmcneal
Occasional Contributor

Raid 5 Array Showing Two (2) Drive Letter "D"

Using SmartArray 532 controller on a proliant ml350 g3 server.
The Raid 5 array had room for another drive. I added another drive, ran ACU to add to array and then expanded to existing array. Under windows I expanded the array but the extra drive shows up under disk management as the same drive letter but separate disk the size of the hard disk. I wish to make the drive part of the existing array. How can I correct this without loosing data?
Thanks.
Duran McNeal
3 REPLIES 3
raadek
Honored Contributor

From your screetshot it appears your D drive is a dynamic one, hence it can (& actually does) span accross multiple logical drives. Yet it means that from end-eser perspective it is just bigger than was before.

To make it looking more 'normal' you would need to play with your logical drive using diskpart command
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/ca099518-dde5-4eac-a1f1-38eff6e3e5091033.mspx?mfr=true

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
duranmcneal
Occasional Contributor

The idea of playing around with diskpart does not strike me as wisdom. Could you be more specific regarding the commands used to resolve the issue?
duranmcneal
Occasional Contributor

My concern is if the second smaller Drive D is part of or connected to the larger Drive D. The data on Drive D is production data and very critical. I do not want to destroy data and have to restore from backup if possible. Is there a way to determine what and if data exist on the smaller Drive D? It points to the same location phyically, Drive D, but logically is separate. The size of the larger Drive D includes three 18GB drives. The size of the smaller Drive D is one 18GB drive. What would be the proceedure and commands to achieve this desired results?