4225 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Re: Storage Migration Using XP24000/20000 as a hub

kurt0414
Occasional Contributor

Re: Storage Migration Using XP24000/20000 as a hub

Hi guys,

We always face data migration problem when purchased new storage. If we have some other vendor storage and purchase a new EVA, is it possible to do the migration by XP external storage, like following?

EMC (PVOL)<---> XP(SVOL/PVOL) <----> EVA (SVOL)

We create BC copy between EMC and XP (external storage), then another BC copy from XP to EVA. During the cutoff, we will use vgexport/vgimport

Anyone has similar experience to share?

Thanks,
Kurt
7 REPLIES 7
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

kurt0414
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

I've already gone through the manual before. Just not sure when virtualised EMC storage and BC copy to XP internal storage also could BC Copy to external virtualised EVA storage is working or not
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

A much easier way would be using XP AutoLUN.

here you move data transparently from the EMC to the EVA LUN in one go!

Note that yoy require downtime.
1. When presenting the EMC LUN trough the XP
2. Only required, if you want to present the EVA LUN directly after the migration(unpresent it trough the XP)

I would think of installing a permanent diskless XP20000 as SAn virtualizing appliance.

Another but definitely permanent solution would be the HP SVSP.
Here you virtualize all storage behind this SAN appliance and move LUNs transparently between storage types! It also supports repliaction, snapshot and Thin Provisioning.

Cheers
XP-Pete
I love storage
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Kurt,

If the EMC is behind XP (connected as External storage) then you can migrate using Auto Lun or Command View AE.

In my environment, we have EVA as External storage and we use Commandview AE for migrating the Extenal storage (EVA) to (EVA) when there is lack of space in the EVA (External Storage).
kurt0414
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guy. By the way, I've created some work flow. See if this works

1. Original vg01 is using EMC disk (Page1)
2. Use Raid-Manager to create Business Copy horcm instance and start migrating data from EMC to XP local (Page2)
3. Create Second BC horcm instance and start migrate data from XP local to EVA (Page2)
4. During migration, vg01 is active and all mount points mounted
4. During cut off, stop all apps and perform vgexport/vgimport
5. Finally vg01 is using new storage (Page3)

One question: Is it possible to create a business copy between two mapped external storage? In my example, that is create BC between 00:01 and 00:02)

kurt0414
Occasional Contributor

Hi MJ,

Is your migration similar to my approach? Mind to share more info of your project?

Thanks,
Kurt
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Kurt,

Our Migration is mostly using TSM (Tiered Storage Manager).. In one Scenerio, when one EVA is full we usually identify the LDEVs that are associated with the particular EVA and migrate to the other EVA which we mapped to the XP using External Storage...

Please check the file for better understanding..