5299 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-initialising an EVA 4/6/8000

Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Re-initialising an EVA 4/6/8000

Hi All,

My normal HP contact is on leave at present so I come to YOU for help! :)

Our Change Management obligations with our government based customer require that for every change we undertake on the system we must have a valid complete rollback plan.

In the case of our XCS code upgrade from older versions to v6200, if it were to fail or cause corruption where HP are unable to recover the data I need to know the process for re-intialisation (and replay of config file) so that data can be restored...

In addition, if it is decided to rollback to the previous XCS code in addition to a re-initialisation I am assuming once the EVA has been re-initialised that it will except the old XCS code through the normal code load procedure? - Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

Ryan Harris
Failure is NOT an Option.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Re-initialising an EVA 4/6/8000

Your HP contact should have a backup, right?
However, for the worst case keep an SSSU capture config file.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
AWilliams_1
Trusted Contributor

A capture config will create a script that you can use to recover the EVA STRUCTURE. ie after a reinitialise you would run the script and the EVA will look like it did previously (except no data).
However the data is another matter and would have to be recovered from a backup eg tape.
kunalsahoo
Valued Contributor

HiRyan,

SSSU script will keep the configuration details.so you can restore the same and also for the data the copy of metadatas stays in the drives along with controllers so if any thing goes wrong you can retrieve the metadata from the drives.

I would suggest to read the release notes of 6200 before doing the upgrade, refer to the procedure section.

all the best !!!
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks foryour replies but maybe I wasn't clear enough when I wrote the thread after a long day in the office yesterday!

I am already well into 6 months worth of preparation and proof of concept work into this firmware upgrade to 6200 across 31 of our sites and so I know the process that has to take place if we decide to regress from 6200 back to XCS versions with older metadata with WILL involve a re-initialisation and a replay of existing configuration.

HP will be using SSSU to take a snapshot of the EVA config prior to the upgrade so all i am trying to firm up for the puropse of our work instructions which need to be very detailed to meet government approval is the steps that take place to re-initialise the EVA and to perform the replay from the SSSU afterwards.

Finally i need to know at what stage you should attempt the XCS code load back to the previous version.

I do have a second contact at HP but he is even more difficult to pin down than my usual contact ( i mailed him a couple of days ago but no response!) and therefore i am asking the question here!

Thanks!
kunalsahoo
Valued Contributor

HI,

before upgrading check the compatibility with your environment....

no point of going back from latest...if it fails....den only you should think of that.
Ryanthelion84
Advisor

Understood, but we are contracted by the government...everything HAS to have complete rollback. Regardless of whether you'd ever need to use it.

Thanks.