New Discussion юеВ

Re: Rebuild Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Zevon
Occasional Advisor

Kris,

Ughh!!! Well, at least there seems to be an explanation. One last question. Are there any utilities that can potentially try to fix the media errors? It's probably not worth it though, correct?
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Andy,

no, this is a media defect on the disk platter/surface so a physicall issue that cannot reliably be fixed by reformatting the media since it reoccurs most likely and reformmating means reinstalling the operating system anyhow with the risk of having to redo the whole thing again at some later stage which can be days or weeks/months ..no one can predict that.

Kris

ps: this thread warrants me some points i guess , even for the bad news :-)
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Andy,

once last thing, i think it also exists for Netware but their is a consistency check that runs every week by default (for Windows)and make sure to install this and that it runs since that will detect issues timely and try to correct it or at least log it so you can replace the disk that has a bad block before the other one in the redundant raid fails and you need to do a rebuild (like now) which can never complete succesfully. In your case it failed almost in the bginning but i've seen this happening at 90% or 99% also ...

good luck

Kris
Andy Zevon
Occasional Advisor

Of course! I think I just submitted them - it's my first time on this forum. Did it work?