1751703 Members
5069 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rebuild

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Rebuild

Expanded from 3 x 9Gb Raid5 to 6x. drive 4 (of 0 to 5) failed and was hotswapped. This drive has never rebuilt. Its been about 3 weeks!
We've done a few sp upgrades and brought the array firmware up to date and each time we get to the reboot it tells us the rebuild is needed.
1. How can I tell what is going on?
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuild

You can do this. Remove the drive (only if it has a red x on it, or there are no lights on). Reboot your server. You will get a message from your array controller. Pick the message that talks about failing the drive NOT THE ARRAY. Once your booted, pop in your drive again, and go into ACU, and take it from there.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply, I'll try that tonight. However....
Either the 431 and hot-swap are mutually meaningless or I'm failing to grasp Compaq's version of them. Why would a rebut without the failed drive be required? Surely the major point of R.A.I.D. is protection in the event of drive failure, and the point of the hot swappable drives should be that a drive can be replaced hot' and therefore failure corrected without a rebut.
Is this a Compaq feature' or a Netware one?
Dave
ps: run this through the forum spell-checker, amongst other things it highlights 'Compaq'!!!!!!!!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Welll....
Closed all services on the server. Down and exit, pop the drive. Insert the Smartstart CD and warmboot. Waited until the intial boot messages had gone away then inserted the drive and started ACU.
Nice big warning screen about the rebuild. Lots of flashing lights on all drives old and new. HIt enter, wWent home at 10pm.
Back in at 6am. Lights on other 5 drives only, and no messages on the screen. (?)
checked ADU and it says drive is ready to rebuild. Closed our ADU and Smartstart and rebooted. Array says rebuild needed so took option for auto rebuild and we are back where we started 4 weeks ago. New drive arrow/activity light comes on when the others do, but the ready light stays off.
I'll keep you posted, but is there no way I can check teh status of this rebuild while netware is up?
Dave