108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recently upgraded the disk drive firmware on EVA5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

Recently upgraded the disk drive firmware on EVA5000

After a successful offline disk drive firmware upgrade from VCS v3.025 to VCS v3.028 on our EVA5000. Command View EVA v4.1 indicates that the vcs version did not change and that it remains at V3025. On a separate EVA5000 it displays the correct V3028 after I performed a disk drive firmware upgrade on it from V3025 to V3028. Should I be concerned?
8 REPLIES 8
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Which version do see on the display in front off your controllers?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Have you rebooted the Management box?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

The VCS version on the front LCD current displays V3025. After the V3028 upgrade was successful and the controllers returned to an operating state. I restarted (not a shutdown) the Management Appliance.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

That sounds like a mis-understanding:

VCS (Virtual Controller Software) is the firmware for the HSV controllers. It includes firmware for the disk drive enclosure's EMUs, but NOT the disk drives themselves - that is a different file which loads as _another_ upgrade via CV-EVA.
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

The firmware file I used was DRIVEFW_OFF_3028.SSS. What file would I be looking to use for the VCS V3028 firmware upgrade? do you have a pointer?

Thanks,
Matt
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

So it looks like your hard drive firmware is ahead of the VCS. I don't know of any specific issues with this combination, but there are certainly potential dangers. I'd upgrade the VCS itself to 3.028 ASAP. The firmware file for it will be something like 'runp_cr0a3e.sss'. That's the name we have for our EVA3000, but I expect the one for an EVA5000 would be similar.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I just received the new 5.030 code. The file name was 200_5030.sss.

I would expect the file to be named something like Mark said or maybe even 110_3028.sss or similar.

These files are usually NOT available on the Web via HP http OR ftp. Usually only through field service or through a premier service contract rep/tech

Since you have the hard drive firmware update file, then it's possible you might be able to get the VCS as well, perhaps from the same source?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Matthew Booth
Frequent Advisor

I will request the VCS firmware for my EVA5000 from via Field Service or my service rep.

Thank You,
Matt