108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recovery process not running

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thomas Seymour
Occasional Advisor

Recovery process not running

I had a drive fail in a ML370 server. I replaced the drive, but it doesn't appear to have rebuilt. It's running on a Smart Array 641 in a RAID 1 configuration. Anyone know of a procedure to jump start the rebuild process?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

SLOT 1 Smart Array 641 Controller
Controller ROM Revision 2.34 (need update)

Logical drive 2 status = Ready for recovery

04-25-2009 01:53:03 Physical drive failure, SCSI Port 1, SCSI ID 3 Physical drive 3 Failure reason: Mark bad failed
04-28-2009 17:30:12 Hot plug drive removed, SCSI Port 1, SCSI ID 3 Physical drive number: 3
04-28-2009 17:31:51 Hot plug drive inserted, SCSI Port 1, SCSI ID 3 Physical drive number: 3
04-28-2009 17:31:51 New logical drive state: Logical drive ready for recovery operation.

The drive is a BF072863B6 Spare: 404713-001, 72GB Wide Ultra320 15K, like the one on bay 2

If the date is right it has been in this state for 3 weeks.

Can you try to remove and insert it again?
Update controller firmware and power-cycle server?
Thomas Seymour
Occasional Advisor

Thank you. Removing the drive and inserting has the same result. The server detects the drive, and the following is recorded in the event log.

Logical Drive 2 of
Array Controller in slot 1 has changed from status code 3 to status code 4.
Status Codes:
0 = OK
1 = FAILED
2 = NOT CONFIGURED
3 = INTERIM RECOVERY MODE
4 = READY FOR RECOVERY
5 = RECOVERING

Server performance drops considerably after the drive is inserted, and drive activity on the new drive is high and in sync with it's mirrored counterpart. This is why I thought the recovery process had begun the first time I replaced the drive.

I'll schedule a server reboot and download the firmware upgrade. I was hoping that there was a manual process for kicking of the recovery process, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks again for you help.
Thomas Seymour
Occasional Advisor

Thank you - I had reboot the server to get the recovery process to begin rebuilding. I appreciate your help.
Thomas Seymour
Occasional Advisor

Server reboot - selected rebuild option on boot-up.