108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Removing enclosures from EVA 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl Karcher
Advisor

Removing enclosures from EVA 5000

Is there any way to remove enclosures from an EVA 5000 while online? I have 8 (out of 16) enclosures with one ungrouped drive in each of them. I need the power and the drives for another EVA that I'm migrating to (8100).

I tried powering off the last enclosure and it will eventually complain about that enclosure being missing.
2 REPLIES 2
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Carl:

You would need to remove the shelf totally from the loop switches, and possibly reboot the EVA once all the shelves are removed.

Assuming you will eventually remove the EVA5000 from service, I probably would not worry about rebooting it. The EVA is complaining mainly since it knows about the drive. Even though it is ungrouped, it thinks it's a failure so will complain.

My suggestion... remove the ungrouped disks, then remove the shelves. If the migration is going to be a short period of time, then deal with the warnings, otherwise reboot the eva.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
no, the disk enclosure online removal is not supported. It needs to be removed offline (with EVA powered off) to avoid all possible fake EMU reporting...
the pain is one part of the reality