Go to solution
Joe_P
Frequent Advisor

Rename Vdisk

Hello,

Setup:
EVA4100 (version 6200)
CVE 8.00.01.080529

I would like to rename a Vdisk using CVE.
The option is there, so it seems possible.

However, I'm wondering if it is a good idea to do this for a Vdisk which is already presented to a host?

thanks,
martijn.
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Rename Vdisk

Hello,

no problem. Just rename it.

Regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

The physical name of the virtual disk has nothing to do with how the host "see's" the disk. You can change it whenever you want.

The only place it might cause a problem is if you are running scripted sssu commands to gather information and/or do things to that particular disk. You would just need to modify the scripts to reflect the new name(s).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Joe_P
Frequent Advisor

thank you both.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The objects (e.g. folders, vdisks, hosts) are internally linked by the 128-bit UUID (universal unique identifier). That's why you can change an object's 'user-friendly' name at any time, although that will break existing scripts as Steven mentioned.

You can also move a vdisk or a host from one folder to another without affecting existing presentations. It is just a mechanism to organize your objects.
Tried it some time ago and I could even change the name of an EVA that was in a Continuous Access relationship with another EVA. The new name was immediately visible on the second one.
Joe_P
Frequent Advisor

thanks