4101 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replace RAID5 drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marian Plic

Replace RAID5 drives

I have Proliant ML350G4p with 6port SATA RAID controller and 4 discs 500GB in RAID5 (OS is on another 2 drives - 2x250GB mirrored).I need replace 500GB drives with 1TB drives without data loss.It is possible?
It's possible replace 1 drive every 2-3 days (=time for rebuild RAID to new drive) and finally extend partition with acronis ? Copy 1TB of files over network to another server or external drive (and back to new RAID) is very slow.Thank You for help.Sorry for my english.
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Replace RAID5 drives

> ...with 6port SATA RAID controller...
Which raid controller do you have? Most of the raid controllers have this feature, it is called "online drive replacement" or something similar. You have to check the controllers documentation and look in the controller's management software (ACU)
The basic steps are (they may vary from one controller to another)
1. fail one disk drive ( or pull it out)
2. insert the larger disk
3. allow the new disk to rebuild
Repeat these steps with the remaining 3 disks.
You have to realize the following:
A. You will not see the increased size until all 4 disks have been replaced and finished rebuilding.
B. During the rebuild process, If another disks fails, you will lose all the data.
Marian Plic

I have this controller

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=cs&cc=cz&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=443243&prodTypeId=329290&objectID=c00892231

I see "Online capacity expansion" - is that it?
Bad info for me - max capacity 750GB but i have new 4x 1TB on my desk.
Than you for help.
TTr
Honored Contributor

It is possible that when that web page was written the 1TB drives were not available, that's why it only mentions the 750GB drives. So if you install the 1TB drives, they might work fine. Use your own judgment and run good backups before you do anything. I would guess that it would take about 10-15 hours to rebuild each drive.