New Discussion юеВ

Replace failed RAID drive on Proliant ML370

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

Replace failed RAID drive on Proliant ML370

Hi,

I would greatly appreciate any help with the following...

We have a Proliant ML370 with a 3 disc RAID 5 array -- one of the three drives has failed (red warning light on, on that drive). The drives are hot swapable. I discovered the failed drive after a reboot.

On reboot the options are...

Select "F1" to continue - all logical drive(s) will remain disabled, or...

Select "F2" to fail drive(s) that are not responding - Interim recovery mode will be enabled if configured for fault tolerance

I'd prefer to leave the system turned off until I replace the failed drive -- I don't want to risk another drive failing in the interim. So, what is the best way to install the new drive once I get it? While the system is down, or should I get it up and running first on the two good drives then hot swap the failed drive? If the former, should I expect the system to boot and rebuild the new drive? If the latter, should I choose F1 or F2? I don't want to risk losing all the data in the array.

Thanks in advance for your help.
9 REPLIES 9
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Replace failed RAID drive on Proliant ML370

Use the "Select F2" option when you get the replacement drive.

See this guide

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00378986/c00378986.pdf

You have the situation described starting with step 5 on page 6.
Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

TTr,

Thanks for your response. I had seen that document, but those instructions are for a RAID 1 mirror. The situation is very similar to mine, but for the fact that I'm using RAID 5.

Do you know for sure that those instructions would apply to my RAID 5 situation? This is the primary domain controller and exchange server, hence the caution.
TTr
Honored Contributor

No I have not tested it myself but at that point in time the controller physically checks the drives and sees the missing one. Then it waits for an F1 or F2 response.

The F1 or F2 condition is a result of a failed drive and it is the same whether you are simulating the failed drive to force rebuilding a mirror or really have a failed drive and the controller will rebuilt is by design. In either case "the rebuild" is the controller's next task.

In your case if you replace the failed drive with a new one and press F1 you will probably end up in the same state, rebuilding the replaced drive.
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

F1 = disable drive
F2 = Interim Recovery mode (default).

Interim Recovery mode = It's waiting for a replacement drive to be insertet.

Power up the server. With or without the failed drive.

Let it startup in Interim Recovery mode.
Replace the failed drive / insert replacement drive.
It will start rebuild automatically.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Beware of the metadata.
metadata is time stamped. If you replace the drive off-line (Powered of). The newest time stamp is considered to be the valid/wanted source. And that might caurse you to owerwite the wrong disk(s).

Br
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

gregersenj,

Thanks for your response. So, with regards to the metadata concern, is there a sure fire procedure to replacing the failed drive? The server is shut down right now, and the failed drive still in its bay. Should I start the server with the failed drive still in, hit F2, wait for the server to boot up on the two good drives, then hot swap the failed drive once the server is up and running?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

My pleasure.

The answer to all your lastest quetstions is Yes :).

Power up the server.
Hit F2 or don't hit anything.
If you don't hit F2 or F1, it will default F2, Interim recovery mode.
As soon as it is in Interim recovery mode.
Replace the disk.
-Remove failed disk.
-Wait 30 sec.
-Insert new disk.
Asuming its an older Proliant 3 LED's on the disks.
The middel LED should start flashing within a few sec.

In my opinion.
The best way to replace a failed / degraded disk on a Proliant, with a Smart Array Controller is:
Leave the server running.
Removed the failed disk.
Insert the new disk.

Is there a risk?
Yes, there is always a risk, no matter what you are doing.
I have serviced Proliant for more than 12 years, and they have never let me down yet.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Ryan Mac
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help, guys. The drive is replaced and the server up and running. (I couldn't find a *new* replacement drive, but got a refurb at ambry.com -- overnighted and very reasonable price.)

All the best,

RM
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Greate.

You're welcome.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo