1751967 Members
4474 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replaced Bad Array Controller

G. Knight
Occasional Contributor

Replaced Bad Array Controller

I have replaced a bad array controller on our VA7100 fibre attached to an rp5470 HP server running HP-UX 11i. CMDView SDM no longer shows that the controller is bad but it states the replaced controller has a status of Unknown. Exists. We replaced the bad controller with the same model and Firmware revision, with the same memory amount as the other controller. CMDView shows a warning of Memory Configuration Mismatch, Ram Unmirrored, Single Controller. This was an On-line hot swap.
In HP-UX ioscan -f -n shows that all of the disks in the array are claimed by the one controller but show NO_HW for the second instance which should be for the replaced controller. Is there a command or utility I can run so HP-UX will see the new controller and not have to shut down and restart HP-UX to get it to see the controller?
Is there anything else I need to do in CMDView to get it to complete the install of the replacement controller.
2 REPLIES 2
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

I would think you would want to start with a rescan of your storage: ioscan -fnC disk

You may be able to get more information from the command line utilites.

Try:

armdsp -i
(should show you the arrays that are visible to the system - note the S/N or the alias)

armdsp -a
(should give you details of the array)

Is this array covered by an HP support contract? If so, get them involved.

I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

You may want to run armdiscover, if the armdsp commands do not show you what you expect. Lastly, consider the possibility that there is an issue with the new controller. As I recall, these were sensitive, and need to be inserted very carefully. And these units are old enough that refurbished controllers most likely have a high failure rate.
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)