4959 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Replacing a Smart-2SL with a 2DH

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Replacing a Smart-2SL with a 2DH

Hi,
I have a netware server with a Smart-2SL and 3 x 9G hotplug drives and I need to add an extra 9G drive. The 3 current drives are configured for RAID5 and hold the entire Netware system, ie. Dos, SYS & Vol1.
How can I add the 4th drive and expand the array?
I have a spare 2DH here, could I sucessfully use it to add the drive ?
Would I be able to expand the array online with the 2DH controller?
Thanks -Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Replacing a Smart-2SL with a 2DH

the smart-2sl can not do any online expansion, and the 2dh can only do a physical expansion. So the new disk will been seen as a new logical drive not free space on the existing one. Best bet rebuid server and create a new array.

Duncan
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi again - well, success. FYI, I flashed the system, rebooted, swopped the 2SL for the 2DH, flashed the 2DH to latest version, rebooted and ran the configuration utility.
Rebooted into Netware and loaded CPQONLIN. Plugged the new drive in, expanded the array with the cpqonlin utility and waited for the array to do it's rebuild - around 3 hours.
After this I was able to create a new Netware partion on the new drive and add it into the existing volume.
Mark-V
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mark-V , that's the way it's done ....
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

As followup - after expanding the array I sucessfully replaced the 2DH again with the original 2SL which meant I ended up with a 2DH spare again.